The paleo diet has become one of the most popular diets in the world, and for a good reason. It is based on the principle that humans are genetically adapted to eat a certain way – the way our Paleolithic ancestors ate.
There are many health benefits to following a paleolithic diet – it can help you lose weight, improve your health and increase your energy levels. And this are all backed by scientific evidence!
In this blog post, we will take a closer look at what it means to be Keto, Grain-free and Paleo certified.
What Is Paleo Certification?
The Paleo Diet is a way of eating that is focused on natural, whole foods. As stated earlier, The paleo diet limits foods that became widespread after the domestication of animals 10,000 years ago. Dairy products, legumes, and grains are examples of these meals.
Paleo Certification is a voluntary program open to any manufacturer of paleo-friendly products. The program is administered by the non-profit Paleo Foundation, which is dedicated to promoting Paleo diets and the paleo lifestyle.
The Paleo Certification is also the pinnacle of certification for Paleo-compliant products. While all products that gain accreditation will contain Paleo-approved components, some 21st-century processing or packaging methods are permitted, allowing for shelf stability.
Paleo Certification standards include:
- A complete absence of grains or pseudo-grains such as barley, rice, bulgur, Kamut, oats, teff, wheat. And also, pseudo-grains like amaranth, quinoa, and buckwheat.
- Legumes, such as beans, lentils, peas, peanuts, soy and soy derivatives, and tempeh should be absent.
- An absence of dairy products, such as cheeses, milk, milk derivatives, yogurts, cream, evaporated milk, or caseinates. (Ghee from grass-fed and pastured cattle is acceptable).
- The absence of food additives, such as artificial colorings, preservatives, sweeteners, flavorings, refined sugars, or flavor enhancers.
You can find a complete list of the non-paleo ingredients here [Paleo certification list].
Why Is The Grain-Free/Gluten-Free Certification Important?
The Grain-Free/Gluten-Free Certification is a certification that is open to any manufacturer of grain-free and gluten-free products. It is also administered by the PALEO Foundation and has similar standards to the Paleo Certification.
The certification process is designed around a two-round audit system that includes stringent and accredited lab testing to ensure that certified products have met both grain-free and gluten-free requirements.
Standards include a complete absence of grains or pseudo-grains and testing, which confirms less than 10ppm of gluten and gliadin competitive. You can find a complete list of the standards for Grain-Free certification here.
Why is this certification important? Well, various leading health experts have estimated that 6% to 7% of the population, or around 20 million people, in the United States suffer from gluten sensitivity. Non-celiac gluten sensitivity (NCGS) is far more prevalent than Celiac disease.
This condition causes a variety of gastrointestinal issues that go away when gluten-containing foods are removed from the diet. This has led millions of people to search for gluten-free meals since this widespread problem has emerged.
What Is Keto Certification?
Keto Certification is another very important certification offered by the Paleo Foundation. The goal of this is to provide a comprehensive list of substances and meals that can be used to improve the tolerability of the Ketogenic Diet.
According to the Paleo Foundation, individual tolerability is the most important aspect of diet acceptance and compliance. This research found that people are more likely to maintain their diets if they enjoy the taste of these foods.
Individuals who like a particular food will be more inclined to continue eating it, which is critical for preventing diet abandonment.
For a product to be considered for Keto Certification, it must fulfill extensive criteria regarding carbohydrate content. The following levels of carbohydrates are required:
Meals and Meal Replacements: Maximum of 10 grams of carbs per serving.
Snacks: Maximum of 6 grams of carbs per serving.
Condiments: Maximum of 2 grams of carbs per 0.5 ounces.
You can find a detailed description of the criteria and complete lists of allowed and prohibited food products here.
How To Get Started On A Paleo Diet
The best way to start a Paleo diet is by gradually removing processed foods from your diet and replacing them with whole, unprocessed foods. This will help your body adapt to the new way of eating.
Some good tips for getting started are:
- Remove one processed food from your diet at a time.
- Add in one or two new Paleo-friendly foods each week.
- Prepare your meals in advance, so you have them ready to eat when you need them.
If you are feeling overwhelmed, take it one step at a time, and don't try to change everything overnight. Rome wasn't built in a day!
PREVAIL Jerky Is A Certified Paleo Brand
If you're searching for paleo, Keto, or grain-free snacks because of your diet or food allergies, Prevail Beef Jerky is the best alternative. There's no soy or gluten in our jerky since it's made with only the highest-quality cuts of meat. Our jerky is also free of hormones, nitrates, artificial coloring and preservatives.
Here are some cool facts about our jerky:
- Our jerky doesn't contain any of the top 8 food allergens.
- PREVAIL jerky is made with marinades & spices that are 100% organic and made with 100% grass-fed, grass-finished non-GMO beef.
- All of our jerkies are made locally in Springfield, IL. Our product is the first product run in the morning after the strict HACCP level cleaning the night before to ensure that there is no cross-contamination.
- We use coconut sugar and salts to help cure the meat and then smoke it with Cherry Wood to naturally preserve it (the natural smoke also happens to add tons of flavor). So this means our jerky is free from preservatives and additives!
- Our jerky is certified gluten-free with The Gluten-Free Manufacturing Program (GFMP), endorsed by the National Celiac Association.
Prevail Beef Jerky is a great snack for people on the go, and it's also ideal for those wanting to maintain a healthy diet. Order your favorite beef jerky flavor today!